I am a long-time IT professional based in Minneapolis, MN (and formerly Seattle, WA) and have over fifteen years of experience from web development, to desktop applications, service oriented architecture, microservices, cloud, and information security.
I like to keep a low profile and seek no fame. I don’t have a twitter or any social media presence, but I do keep a few things around: firstname.lastname@example.org; LinkedIn; StackOverflow.
These days you can find me tinkering with Internet of Things devices, electronics, DevOps, and motorcycles.
A short autobiographical sequence of events in my life:
- 2022 — contributing skills to decentralizing and giving back control to users over their data
- 2021 — leading and executing penetration tests of services, applications, and devices of Fortune 50 clients
- 2020 — design and architecture of cloud-native applications from scratch, mentoring
- 2019 — lots of work in migrating on-prem services to Azure
- 2018 — becoming a lead engineer for a new team of developers, developing enterprise standards and libraries
- 2017 — research and development of devices and software to speed up retail operations
- 2016 — bespoke solutions to collect metrics across 20,000 retail endpoints
- 2015 — reverse engineering, research and development of coffee brewing automation
- 2014 — creating face to face drive thru camera ordering systems, CEO demos
- 2013 — working with ancient patient medical software to make it work in modern times
- 2012 — lots and lots of electronics magic smoke released (first arduinos, raspberry pi)
- 2011 — created a content management system (ASP.NET) for a web dev shop
- 2010 — web development in PHP, DIY forum software
- 2009 — sneaking personal laptop into high school classes with unfettered internet access as “taking notes”
- 2003–2008 — first computers, Windows XP on a bi-annual reinstallation cycle, hackintosh, BASIC Stamp, simple digital logic, Fedora/Ubuntu/Sabayon/Gentoo Linux trials.
Articles ~ RSS
- 2021-01-21: Running a headless ProtonMail Bridge with a SMTP Relay for homelab use
- 2020-10-06: Reverse engineering Ambient Weather WS-1001-WIFI EasyWeatherIP TCP protocol
- 2020-03-20: Homelab Reverse Proxy - Part 4 - Virtual Machine Setup
- 2020-01-04: Sena 10C Repair & Waterproofing
- 2020-01-03: Homelab Reverse Proxy - Part 3 - OpenVPN Server Setup
- 2019-12-31: Homelab Reverse Proxy - Part 2 - Certificate Management
- 2019-12-31: Homelab Reverse Proxy - Part 1